lost & found ft. tamasha

Behind every mask, there’s a self waiting to be seen, and Tamasha reminded me of that.

I rewatched Tamasha, and this time it really hit me differently. Ved’s story felt so familiar, like a reflection of someone I know. Someone who hides parts of himself, wears a mask, and sets aside his individuality to meet expectations shaped by family and societal conditioning around obligations.

Part of it comes from the way he was raised, the pressures and expectations from his parents, and the way childhood shapes who we become. Yet beneath all that, there’s a real, creative, authentic, unique person who sometimes gets lost under the pressure of those expectations.

Watching it, I realised how much I’ve always tried to encourage him to step out of that shell, not to control or change him, but because I want him to truly see himself and embrace who he is. It’s not about what we share; it’s about individuality, choice, and living life authentically.

And there’s an irony in it, just like Ved avoids Tara when she reminds him of who he really is. In that avoidance, I see so much of the fear that comes with the vulnerability of being seen, the uncertainty of how others will respond, and the risk of feeling unworthy of our own authenticity. I can see the real person in him, yet facing that truth can feel scary for him. It’s a reminder of how complicated it can be to stay true to ourselves while navigating expectations both from within and from the world around us.

Ved’s journey in the film shows exactly what happens when someone isn’t fully themselves: how being disconnected from oneself creates tension, sadness, and a quiet longing for freedom that lingers. In real life, it’s not always dramatic, but carrying that weight of ‘not being fully you’ quietly influences the choices you make, the way you feel, and even how you connect with others.

Loyalty, caring, and family are beautiful parts of who he is, and they shouldn’t be given up. But suppressing the true self, for any reason, doesn’t help anyone. Like Tara sees Ved, I see potential in him that maybe he doesn’t always recognise himself. I hope he can explore it freely, without guilt or fear of obligations.

I’ve seen him. I’ve seen his depth. And rewatching Tamasha reminded me how much we can reflect truths about ourselves in the people around us, sometimes even the ones we love.

There’s a quiet power in truly seeing someone, and in being seen in return.

Comments

Popular Posts