not all men.

For most of my life, closeness with men felt theoretical.
I understood the idea of it, just not the feeling.
When love doesn’t show up early, you learn to lower your expectations and call it maturity.
Distance felt safer than wanting.

Then I met four of them.

One of them taught me that listening can be louder than reassurance. He never tried to fix me. He just let me talk, in circles, in fragments, repeating myself, and he still does. I didn’t have to be neat to be heard.

One showed me that consistency doesn’t need grand gestures. No big declarations. No drama. He was just there. Often enough that I stopped bracing for him to disappear.

One had disagreements with me the most. We clashed. We misunderstood each other. I wasn’t gentle, and neither was he. But he showed me something I didn’t grow up knowing that conflict doesn’t automatically mean someone’s going to leave. He's my favorite.

And, One saw me when I was least lovable. Not put together. Not careful. We fell in love. We broke up. The love changed its shape. But the way he didn’t flinch back then still matters. 

That kind of staying leaves a mark, even when the future doesn’t.
They didn’t save me. They didn’t heal me.
They just didn’t take advantage of the gaps.

I still feel unsafe at times, not always because of them, but because of my own wounds. Old reflexes don’t disappear just because safety shows up.
But the fact that I can say this out loud, that I can talk it through with them instead of shutting down, comes from the same place. From knowing I can say almost anything and still be here.

I didn’t realize how much I was testing safety, pulling away, watching who followed, waiting for silence so I could say I expected it. They corrected that belief without saying much. They corrected it by staying.

I know what staying feels like now, and I won’t accept less.

Comments

Popular Posts