to my past
To the ex,
I feel nothing,
or at least, nothing
that asks for you back.
It’s been a long time,
really long,
since you chose to leave.
Since then,
not a word.
Silence did what arguments couldn’t.
You showed me
what love can feel like
when it’s real,
and how brutal it becomes
when it breaks.
I saw the extremes.
I lived the extremes.
Love that felt like home,
pain that felt like punishment.
Four walls.
Therapy rooms.
Long pauses between breaths.
Healing, not just from you,
but from the versions of myself
I became while trying to keep us alive.
I learned accountability.
I learned restraint.
I learned that love without stability
is just survival dressed up as passion.
I’m proud of myself now.
And yes,
I thank you
for leaving when you did.
Because had you stayed,
I might have never chosen myself.
I might have mistaken chaos
for connection
for the rest of my life.
Everything in between,
the yelling,
the fights,
the arguments,
the making love,
the love itself,
I don’t erase it.
I don’t glorify it either.
I carry it as evidence
of who I was
and who I refused to remain.
But the friendship,
that quiet understanding,
the laughter without effort,
the comfort of being seen,
where did that go?
Why was that the easiest thing
for you to abandon?
Did three years
mean nothing to you?
Because to me,
they meant becoming.
They meant life
before I knew how to live it properly.
I don’t miss you.
I miss the place
we never learned
how to protect.
Comments
Post a Comment