The girl who found home in cinema.
There was a time when movies were the safest place I knew.
Not home.
Not people.
Not conversations.
Movies.
I grew up inside cinema.
Some children are raised by emotionally available parents. Some are raised by communities, friendships, affection, warmth, structure, guidance.
I was raised by stories.
I learned emotions from movies before I learned how to express my own. I learned silence from certain characters. Love from certain scenes. Grief from background scores. Loneliness from frames that stayed still for too long. Hope from endings that probably looked unrealistic to everyone else but meant survival to me.
Movies were never just entertainment in my life.
They were companions.
When I was a child, I obviously did not understand metaphors, subtext, layered storytelling, visual symbolism, or emotional complexity the way I do now. But children understand feelings long before they understand language. And somehow, cinema always spoke that language fluently.
I absorbed things from films without realizing it.
The way people loved.
The way they apologized.
The way they stayed.
The way they left.
The way pain looked on a human face.
A huge part of my emotional intelligence was built through watching stories unfold on a screen.
Cinema shaped my imagination. It shaped the way I viewed relationships, the way I processed emotions, the way I romanticized life, the way I survived difficult days. Certain films became emotional landmarks in my life. Certain scenes became memories. Certain dialogues became truths I carried for years.
I didn’t just watch movies.
I lived inside them.
And maybe that sounds dramatic to people who consume films casually. But for some of us, movies are not background noise. They become emotional architecture. They become memory storage. They become places we return to when reality becomes unbearable.
Movies stayed with me during phases where people didn’t.
That is why losing my connection with cinema recently has terrified me more than I can explain.
A recent emotional setback changed something inside me.
Now, every time I try to watch a movie, I feel afraid.
Not because the movie is sad.
Not because it reminds me of something specific.
But because cinema itself suddenly feels unsafe.
The very thing that once comforted me now reaches places inside me that are too raw to touch.
Watching films used to help me process emotions. Now they intensify them. Scenes linger too long. Dialogues hurt differently. Music feels unbearable. Even beautiful moments feel painful because they remind me that I no longer experience stories the same way.
And that loss feels enormous.
People may think I am exaggerating when I say this, but losing movies feels like losing the last emotional home I had left.
Cinema was never “just a hobby” for me.
It was the only constant companion I had throughout my life.
The only thing that stayed.
The only thing I loved with complete sincerity.
And now I sit in front of screens unable to feel what I once felt. Sometimes I stop movies halfway. Sometimes I avoid them completely. Sometimes I stare at posters of films I once adored and feel absolutely nothing except grief.
That scares me.
Because if movies could no longer reach me, then how disconnected from myself have I become?
Maybe this phase will pass someday.
Maybe I will slowly return to cinema the way people return to old homes after years away. Carefully. Nervously. Emotionally.
Maybe one day a scene will move me again without breaking me.
Maybe one day I will sit in a dark theatre and feel safe again.
I hope so.
Because movies did not just entertain me.
They raised me.

Comments
Post a Comment